Monday, February 23, 2009

Musical Appetite

I've been mulling over the role music plays in my life. The following selections are songs that matter to me right now for various reasons...



Sing You a Love Song-of Montreal

“Although I can’t sing it now, be still…cause someday baby I will sing you a love you song…” Probably one of my favorite lines pertaining to “love”…Why? I like the fact that it isn’t just “Hey! I love you!!”…its realistic. So many songs are about being in love, enraptured with each other. This guy is like, “Hey, I know I will love you someday, but I can’t say it quite yet.” To me, that is almost as awesome as being told “I love you.” It shows me that he takes it seriously. Silly trite love songs. The song also talks about vodka and probably some hard drugs….that may or may not add to my affinity for this song.

Don’t Feel Like Dancing-Scissor Sisters

Any music video with a dancing redheaded tranny has got to be for one awesometastic song. “Don’t Feel Like Dancing” came to me through a little improv group that Kim, Laura and I religiously worshiped every Tuesday night at 10. I take that back…I religiously worshiped the founder of the group and his Jewish ways. After a year and half of awkward obsession and contemplating converting to Judaism, I at least have a song that makes me want to dance and sing in falsetto.

Hope I Don’t Fall in Love with You-Tom Waits

Oh Tommy....Probably the only guy in this world who has a thought process similar to mine in that he sees an epiphany in every little detail. It's a great song because it showcases his vulnerability, and I like looking at others being vulnerable...it makes me feel so powerful. I am so happy they let me take advantage of their honesty.

Dog Problems-The Format

Just a great song. Peppy, dancy, fab.

Hallelujah-Jeff Buckley

I feel kind of cliché putting this song on the list, because…Who hasn’t had some type of emotional reaction to “Hallelujah”?

Both Sides Now-Joni Mitchell

I first stumbled across this song during my Music of the Movies class. A character in the movie “Love Actually” receives a Joni Mitchell CD from her husband for Christmas only to realize that he is probably cheating on her because it was not the gold necklace she found in his jacket earlier. She goes into her room, plays this song, and has the probably most emotional moment of her life—she is after all a cold English woman.

No comments: